At Northbourne, we strive to provide an exciting and varied musical experience for all our children. We aim to encourage our children to develop a life-long love of music, giving them the opportunities to create, play and perform music. This not only increases their self-confidence but it also builds resilience, encourages collaboration and teaches them that music is fun!
Our Upper Key Stage Two children have the opportunity to learn the trumpet or cornet as a class. We are very fortunate to be working with Kent Music for the provision of instruments and music in education company "Bold As", who provide music day experiences for our children as well as opportunities to perform and take part in concerts. This gives the children a fantastic opportunity to play alongside experienced and professional musicians and is a truly memorable experience for them.
Through the music curriculum, our children will learn to:
· Use their voices expressively and creatively, progressing to become more accurate and fluent in their singing, through a variety of songs.
· Improvise and compose music on tuned and untuned instruments for different purposes and audiences, creating, selecting and combining sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
· Listen to a range of high quality music, from different traditions, developing their concentration and attention to detail and ability to recall sounds and rhythmic patterns.
· Use and understand staff and other musical notations.
· Develop an understanding of the history of music and appreciate great composers and musicians.